Angela Webster led a research project which included assessing current ED&I recruitment data and spending time with over 20 Deans and Recruiting Managers to quantitively and qualitatively assess their current position in relation to their ED&I recruitment goal.
Time was also spent speaking with the recruitment and senior HR team assessing current practices and processes and how well they support the recruitment of diverse academic employees. This included:
• Assessing the approach to education of those responsible for recruitment
• The extent of knowledge around BCU’s ED&I ambitions
• Understanding industry pipelines into academic roles and the impact this may have on attracting new talent
• Whether there were any barriers preventing talent from applying for academic roles
• Understanding how BCU were attracting talent
• Reviewing the selection and interview process
The project provided BCU with recommendations and a comprehensive plan for improvement that would support fundamental changes within recruitment practices and provide a clear plan for the university to work towards.
By implementing the suggested actions, we are confident that: